A very simple daily exercise can change your perspective and possibly your health. Find out why you should consider meditation.
Meditation is simply directed concentration, and involves learning to focus your awareness and direct it onto an object: your breath, a phrase or word repeated silently, a memorized inspirational passage or an image in the mind’s eye. The benefits of meditation are numerous, and include:
- Helping lower blood pressure
- Decreasing heart and respiratory rates
- Increasing blood flow
- Enhancing immune function
- Reducing perception of pain
- Relieving chronic pain due to arthritis and other disorders
- Maintaining level mood
- Bringing awareness and mindfulness to everyday aspects of life
A simple form of meditation that can be practiced by anyone is to walk or sit quietly in a natural setting and allow your thoughts and sensations to occur, observing them without judgment.
Just try to sit quietly for a few minutes a day, then 10 minutes, then 20. It’s a gradual process, so ease your way into it.
Source: Dr. Andrew Weil